Remember, car insurance is for BIG accidents. Self-insure a little and rely on insurance for the big stuff.
1. build a $1,000 car emergency fund is a savings account and increase your deductible to $1,000. Don’t make a claim for every little ding and scratch or your rates will go up.
2. Take defensive driving for insurance online on your lunch hour. In TX it’s only $25 and you have 90 days to complete it. Okay, this one is kind of a pain and you really have to goof to flunk.
3. Do you work from home or are retired? Ask for a driving monitor for 3-6 months and put on your halo. State Farm offers this to extremely low mileage customers who drive less than 4,000 miles a year. (I’m going to sign up and let you know how it goes).
4. Ask for a Scientist or Engineer discount. The doctor discount is now available for other professions. Ask. Students with good grades get a discount too.
5. If your student is away at school, ask if THAT COUNTY is cheaper.